Why Ashe is not the main character?

gultubilla

Jan 12, 2018
Originally Bathlier is their intended protagonist of this game. You can see it on the character development he have.

But we end up having these 2 boring teens with no personality as the main characters.

Vaan and Penelo are boring as giant block of ice melting.If You think about it, the story doesn't focus on these 2 boring lifeless Vanilla flavored empty shells. Their purpose is to be the narrators.We are seeing Ashe's story on their point of view.

The real focus of the story is Ashe.

The whole story focus on her quest to save her Kingdom and to avenge the death of her husband. She leads the group and she have majority of the facetime when it comes to cutscenes. Most of the moral dilemmas and decisions in the game fell in the hands of Ashe. Most of the character growth is given to Ashe.

We learn nothing about Vaan and Penelo, they are just there witnessing the adventures of Princess Ashe as her sidekicks. The producers said they decided to make Vaan and Penelo the main characters despite of sucking so much is the fact they are young and Ashe was too old.

I think Vaan and Penelo would have been less hated if they have character growth and they are the focus of the story but they gave 70% of the focus to Ashe. 20% to Balthier and 10 percent to others.

I didnt like the main characters of 12 because I felt like I was playing like a sidekick instead of a main character. Why would you want to be Robin and Bat girl if you can be Batman.

Ashe is definitely Batman.

Apr 25, 2018
Ashe is the Focal character as the story revolves about her but she is not a protagonist. There are many stories where the protagonist is irrelevant because the writer wanted you the audience to see the Focal character's story through the protagonists' eyes. It is like the movie Frozen. The protagonist is Anna but the story is about Elsa.

In Most Final fantasy games the protagonist is the focus but Square experimented on this one.

Jan 14, 2018
12 is released on a time where video game companies struggle to sell games with female protagonist. Yeah X-2 did well but yeah 12 is released on an era that most games rely on a brown haired male protagonist on his 20's to 30's.

They also want to target this game to teens and Ashe is too old for the developers.

Bartz_FFV

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 7, 2018
So we are actually getting Ashe's story from Vaan and Penelo's point of view?
Yup that is how Final Fantasy 12 goes. I guess they want to feel like we are a friend of Ashe who see her grow. We won't have that perspective if she is the lead character we control.

I think Vaan and Penelo are the Trojan Horse to trap teens from buying this game but make them love and prefer the older woman Ashe.

Sharon

Nov 27, 2017
Seriously though 12 have the worst looking cast in Final Fantasy history. Not only they look bland designwise , they also have little to no personality. No wonder Ashe really shined in this game because she is the most sympathetic character in the cast.

Jan 12, 2018
So we are actually getting Ashe's story from Vaan and Penelo's point of view?
It is basically like those Lord of the Rings movies. The protagonists is Frodo but he is badly outshined by Aragorn. There is nothing relatable but the 2 main characters and they never had the character growth that is mostly seen in Final Fantasy heroes.

Nov 10, 2017
It does give that different perspective, but it does leave them coming off as somewhat unnecessary and it made me wonder the point of everything. I get it though but still kind of wish things were done differently.

Apr 18, 2018
Focal character not being protagonist had been a long time style of writing. It is like the Disney version of Sleeping beauty. The Focal character is Princess Aurora but the main character is Prince Phillip.

The Lack of relationship of bond Ashe have with Vaan and Penelo make the 2 feel useless.

Addap Earver

Sorceress of the Stone
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously it is really sad that Vaan represents 12 in Dissidia, he is so irrelevant to the story but because he is the main character to control he got the slot. He don't even have much connection to the villain Vayne.

May 12, 2018
Yeah, I guess Ashe is the primary character, although Balthier maybe gets a few more lines. He is the supporting character, supposing he did not have a cause until they went to stop Cid. Vaan is only a guy who tags along, just because the story narrates through his point of view doesn't automatically mean he is the main character.

Hova

Apr 22, 2018
Given that Ashe was chosen by gods of her world, I personally think she should have been the main character. Many people dismiss her just because the don't like her. Also, she is the one character who had the most impact on the Final Fantasy XII's plot progression. Plu the party members mostly listened to her.

Hova

Apr 22, 2018
Given that Ashe was chosen by gods of her world, I personally think she should have been the main character. Many people dismiss her just because the don't like her. Also, she is the one character who had the most impact on the Final Fantasy XII's plot progression. Plus the other characters built a great relationship because of Ashe.

Jan 14, 2018
I think they just experimented on this one but the result leads to two main characters who are irrelevant to the story. I hope they never do this again.

I think another reason they decided to go with empty shell protagonist is so the player can insert their personality to the main character since the main character have no personality.

Top Bottom
Hosted By: