Vaan is the worst Final Fantasy main character

Jan 14, 2018

I can't stand Vaan. I think the main character should have been Ashe since the plot of her avenging her husbands death and defending her Kingdom is more interesting than Vaan who is just there.Ashe is the reason why the plot continues while Vaan is just there. Ashe is the leader of the ensemble but I guess 2006 is a year where game developers are not confident with female leads.

Also look at Vaan, he have an awful design, he looks like a 12 year old male stripper.

I also don't like Penelo, she is also an empty vessel like Vaan.

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Vaan's problems start out as a orphaned teenager from the streets, and his dream is to become a sky pirate but he is just a thief. Also I think Vaan is more of a supporting protagonist in Final Fantasy 12 and not really the main character. He is just a teenager,so he acts like one throughout this game with his bratty ways.

Oct 24, 2017
To be honest I didn't liked the character. It's not about men or women lead. The thing is main character has to have some sort of attractive features in a way. I don't think Vaan was in any way attractive. I'd only say it was one of the boring character out there.

Nov 3, 2017
It's not just Vaan. That game is full of terribad characters. But I agree that he is the worst one.
It's a shame because the game itself is pretty fun IMO.

Jan 14, 2018
I am all for sexy outfits but the sexiness of the outfits in 12 is trashy. Vierra and Vann looks like underage strippers.

I know Empty vessel main characters became trendy in Japan because for some reason producers thinks characters like that are more relatable. Bland characters like Vaan and Penelope should never lead again.

Also if they want to sexualize the design of characters, make them look like adults.

Nov 3, 2017
Haha I agree that they look like strippers. Not sure what they were thinking with that. They don't even need slutty outfits to make a character look attractive.
EDIT: Maybe the were pandering to the female players with Vaan, but he still looks ridiculous either way.

Jan 14, 2018
In Final Fantasy 13, I always exclude Hope on my party because he reminds me of Vaan. I notice there is lack of representation of 12 cast in dissidia. 12 characters are not well received at all. Ashe is the only likable one. 12 is a good game but the cast looks like Lady Gaga Dancers.:D

Oct 24, 2017
I think every character portrays someone in real life. If we focus more on the outfit, then vaan will indeed look like a teenage striper but that is not who he is in the game. It is just the first impression. I think there are other worst characters than vaan.

Feb 22, 2018
I think Vaan's character is still growing and that's they wanted to portray the typical screw-ups of lost teenage boy.

Nov 10, 2017
I am not sure I will be able to get the image of him as a teenage stripper now out of my head but I guess that will make things interesting. I agree though he is just younger and more relateable maybe, and yeah still growing.

Jan 14, 2018
I am not sure I will be able to get the image of him as a teenage stripper now out of my head but I guess that will make things interesting. I agree though he is just younger and more relateable maybe, and yeah still growing.
He is not relatable at all. He is a typical empty vessel protagonist with a bland personality. Ashe is suppose to be the real hero since the story centers to her. 12 is basically Ashe's story in Vaan's point of view. He does look like an underage stripper for perverted old gay men and bored housewives on their 40's.

Jan 14, 2018
Vaan didnt even have a growth as a character. He is this angsty teen who aspires to be a Skypirate and in the end he is the same character in the end.

Ashe on the other hand is a Widowed Queen who wanted Justice for the death of her husband and we see her grow from a mourning widow to a leader. The whole story revolves around her yet she is not the protagonist.

Mar 19, 2018
To be honest I didn't liked the character. It's not about men or women lead. The thing is main character has to have some sort of attractive features in a way. I don't think Vaan was in any way attractive. I'd only say it was one of the boring character out there.
Hi everyone. I totally relate. I have the way am a skinny orphan thief with big dreams. My favourite is Balthier. The pirate looks and behaves at every moment like he was walked out of a dinner party to which he wasn't invited.

Feb 22, 2018
Vaan is not a terrible character. I think the only reason people are not fond of him is because he's never serious compared to the other characters. I think he's meant to appeal to a younger audience He lacks the discipline of a soldier is what I'm trying to say I guess. Other than that he's an awesome character.

Jan 14, 2018
He is a terrible character. He is the lead character but the story doesnt center to him. The story is focused on Ashe. 12 is Ashe's story but it Vaan and Penelo's perspective. Ashe is the one who have character development and not Vaan and Penelo.

Feb 22, 2018
In my own opinion Vaan's character is supposed to be as portrayed on the game. He's a lost boy whose family and future has been taken from him and being in the military didn't help either.

Mar 22, 2018
Vaan's costume is one of the worst I've seen for a lead character. It is really eye opening to learn that Vaan was a last minute addition to Final Fantasy XII.

Feb 22, 2018
Vaan's costume is one of the worst I've seen for a lead character. It is really eye opening to learn that Vaan was a last minute addition to Final Fantasy XII.
I don't know if the costume had something to do with it but I guess it had some kind of subliminal influence.

Sharon

Nov 27, 2017
I am a big fan of sexualized male characters but yeah that look didn't worked on Vaan because he does looks like an underage. o_O 15 I think succeed on making sexualized male characters who don't look tacky.

He also does have the personality of a frozen bar of ice.

Top Bottom
Hosted By: