News: Hajime Tabata Leaves Square; FFXV DLC Plans Cancelled

Feb 21, 2018
Earlier this year, Square Enix announced a second wave of Final Fantasy XV DLC content. It was quite a surprising move from the company, given that few games are given that kind of second life beyond their initial Season Pass content. Now today came an even bigger surprise: they changed their minds.

Four new add-on chapters were announced for Final Fantasy XV last April, each focusing on a specific character: Episode Ardyn, Episode Aranea, Episode Lunafreya and Episode Noctis. Episode Noctis would have really, truly been the final chapter -- we think. Now only Episode Ardyn, which is too far along to pump the brakes, will be released.

Why the sudden about-face? Because the man in charge is leaving the company. Game director Hajime Tabata has been credited with saving the Final Fantasy XV project, back when it was just an FF spinoff and in danger of cancellation. He's been in charge of the whole thing since then, until now. It would seem Square doesn't want to continue without him.

Tabata released a public statement upon the announcement of his departure from Square, which can be read below.

It’s almost going to be 2 whole years since the release of FFXV. I honestly believe the reason we were able to get this far is because of all you loyal fans. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Today, I have a personal announcement to make to all of you. I, Hajime Tabata, will be resigning from Luminous Productions and the Square Enix Group as of October 31, 2018

I was able to gain so much experience with my time at Square Enix. Every title I was able to be a part of means a lot to me. However, FFXV stood out from that group as it was a special project for me which I went all-in.​
Therefore, I decided to take this opportunity to officially announce my departure from FFXV to all the fans who have supported the title across the globe.
In regards to my next endeavors and near future, I have a project that I truly wish to solidify as my next challenge after FFXV. For that reason, I have decided to leave my current position and start my own business in order to achieve my goal.

As production of Episode Ardyn continues and Luminous Productions works on new projects, I felt that it was time for me to hand over the torch to the next generation group of talented and trustworthy colleagues and believe that they will create something amazing.​
From this day on, I will cheer on and support Square Enix and Luminous Productions together with all you fans.
I would like to thank everyone who continue to support FFXV and those who have also supported myself personally.​

Addap Earver

Sorceress of the Stone
Oct 28, 2017

This is how I feel about this terrible news since many people had been waiting for these DLC's. That must be the reason why these dlc's got delayed because they end up getting cancelled. This is Konami levels of incompetence.

Bartz_FFV

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 7, 2018
This is really a depressing news since most of has had been waiting for these downloadable content for so long. I had been wanting to play these updates but now we are not going to get it. This is negative PR on Square Enix's part.

Apr 18, 2018
NO!!!! I had been waiting for this dlc to arrive for a long time. They promise to give us extra content and they didn't keep their promise. They should have not wasted their time and resources for that mobile chibi remake and focus on the DLCs. They will make money from it, why cancel it!! This is making me super livid!! I want that Aranea DLC since it was announced.

Apr 25, 2018
You know what is terrible? There are some content data mined from the Final Fantasy disk that can be playable with hacking. They do all this cancellation when they already have available files for us to play. It is an awful betrayal of fans.

Apr 22, 2018
I hope Final Fantasy 16 is not open world. Open world is too ambitious for Square enix to handle that we end up an unfinished game that is cancelled. They betrayed all the people who spent 80 bucks to buy this game.

Bartz_FFV

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 7, 2018
This situation reminds me of Silent hills by Konami. A highly hyped game that got cancelled because Konami is stupid. Square Enix is pulling a Konami on this one.

Top Bottom
Hosted By: