All Main Protagonist in Final Fantasy Games are Sword users

Jan 14, 2018
I noticed that the main playable characters if every Single Final Fantasy game in existence are swordsmen and women. It doesn't matter if it's futuristic or ancient setting. It doesnt matter if it's young,old,male or female. The main hero always wields a sword. I will exlude sub sequels since those are spin offs.

Final Fantasy 1 Warrior of Light

Final Fantasy 2 Firrion

Final Fantasy 3 Luneth

Final Fantasy 4 Cecil Harvey

Final Fantasy V Bartz

Final Fantasy 6 Terra Brandford

Final Fantasy 7 and 8

Cloud Strife and Squall Leonheart

9 and 10
Zidane Tribal and Tidus

12 Vaan

13 and 15

Lightning and Noctis

Oct 24, 2017
I think compared to gun and the cross bow the sword feels more masculine. And also it feels like you are putting in the work to attack the demons or whatever your target is. So it seems like a good weapon.

Jan 14, 2018
Other weapons like nunchucks, Skepters, gaunlets, masons, hammers and guns always ends up with secondary and support characters.

Oct 24, 2017
Also there seems to be history how people feel more pride holding sword over any other weapon. I am not sure how the sword tends to gain that much demand. But in eastern culture they are more of symbol of pride and honor over anything.

Jan 14, 2018
The only Final Fantasy main character who is not a sword User is Yuna. X-2 is more of a spin off and subsequel of X though.

Also she is a support character in X that managed to have her own spin off because she became more famous than Tidus.

Oops I forgot about this.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they use a lot of different kinds swords as well in Final Fanatasy- and some of them include the Mythril Sword- and this is kind of a starter weapon. Some others include "Save The Queen" and I think General Beatrix-a woman carried this one. One of the biggest has to be the Buster Sword though-and it's a sword that Cloud carried.

Bartz_FFV

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 7, 2018
In 13-2 Serah who was an Archer became a swords woman.

Non sword users automatically turns into sword users if they took over on a subsequel.

Mar 19, 2018

Personally mine is Zack Fair.I like cloud as well; but i believe Zack to be the better of the two. Zack has the traits of your stereotypical hero. He's friendly, charismatic, and just wants to be the best. However what we don't see with Zack is a tragic background, typically in the Final Fantasy universe. Which is so cliche because all Final Fantasy characters have a tragic background. So who is your favourite Final Fantasy protagonist?

Apr 22, 2018
I wonder if there will be a controversy if the next main character is a gunslinger, archer or a bare hands Martial Artist. It will be the first time FF will have a non sword using main character.

Mar 1, 2018
I want the main character to be a mage who uses magic attacks only. Someone who can't do sword fighting and martial arts for an underdog narrative. He or she will have more warrior type allies though.

Top Bottom
Hosted By: